Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Pantry Check!

I have done the rounds in supermarkets and find Unimart Greenhills to be tops. I like the fact that they’re well stocked (which is something I cannot say for Rustan’s). They also have a sterling selection of PX goods which always gets me to stray from my weekly grocery list. It’s amazing what one can pick up in Unimart. Just this weekend I was able to find flower pots and back issues of Real Simple.

I like getting lost in the supermarket, taking the longest time comparing prices, hunting for new products, etc. It drives Christian nuts – he claims I take the longest time shopping, be it for clothes or groceries.

Here’s Blair Mitch’s list of noteworthy finds that definitely merit space in the pantry:


As you can see, I already halfway consumed the contents of this bottle...

Saranggani Bay Spicy Milkfish in Oil, Php 109.00
I used to be a devotee of the Zaragoza brand but find the sardines always crumbled and damn small. And since I have this maddening habit of removing the skin, it leaves me with very little fish and a lot of frustration. The Milkfish in Saranggani Bay is fat and juicy. It’s also not too salty-spicy. I like eating this for breakfast with garlic fried rice.



Pfanner Gruner Apple or Grapefruit, Php 120.75
I like Del Monte Orange (yippee, free plug for hubby’s brand) but since they don’t have Apple or Grapefruit flavors, I also go for Pfanner. It’s reasonably priced (120 pesos nets you 2 liters) and tastes way better than the others. On the Powdered Category I find Eight O'Clock Lemonade quite addicting.



Purefoods Corned Beef with Hot and Spicy Jalapeno, Php 30.43
Okay, my brand of choice is really Palm Corned Beef. But I find this new Purefoods Jalapeno worthy enough to try. It’s great with toasted bread and sharp cheddar cheese. A note though on processed food loaded with sodium nitrate: please consume in moderation. It’s evil stuff, really.



Reese’s Swoops, Php 126.00
I love ‘em nasty peanut butter chocolate cups and now they come in irresistible slices of peanut chocolate candy, just like potato chips. Heaven help me.



Hershey’s Shell, Php 130-139 – I forget, but somewhere in this range…
Good friend Tricia introduced me to this one and it’s absolutely fantastic. If you’re a Vanilla ice cream fan like me and Christian, you gotta try this. Shake the bottle a bit, pour and watch the chocolate sauce freeze in seconds! And when served in waffle cones, it's a perfectly messy, sticky, yummy dessert.

Does anyone out there have any pantry finds? Share, share please!

Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas. Too much eating happened over the holidays and my hubby is swearing off rice and carbs for now.

Kisses and Hugs from Blair Mitch, Hubby and baby!

11 Comments:

Blogger wysgal said...

For OJ, at home we're rather fond of Harvey (the blue carton with the photo of a strange looking kid on it).

5:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unimart and its affiliates, cash n carry, makati supermarket, are the best value supermarket out there. I've made my rounds and this group offer the widest range of choices and lowest value compared to rustans or SM. don't even bother going to robinsons, limited goods, doubtful freshness and too much mark-up. If you go to cash and carry, parking is free.

Hi. stumbled upon your blog and absolutely love it.. Its now a morning ritual..hope to see more restaurant reviews and tips..

7:43 PM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Hey thanks Mr. Anonymous!

Have you tried the Gaisano supermarket in Market, Market? Clean and spacious, lots of goods, hardly anyone pa so no crowds. Not so hot on their meat/poultry/seafood section (but atleast there's a Monterey) and fresh produce area but okay na rin.

Unimart still reigns on best value but Gaisano is a good second.

10:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For really good value, I go to Hi-Top, where there is a SALE corner of goods within 1-3 months of expiry at 50% off.

The rest of the merchandise at Hi-Top is a good 10% lower than other supermarkets. Among my finds are Post Cranberry Almond Cereals at P187 (P218 at Rustan's!)and Argentina Gold Corned Beef (the premium corned beef of the said brand, really good and less salty.) In the Candy Store, they have Turtles (my childhood favorite), Sugar Babies, Sugarfree Nestle Crunch and other not-so-common chocolates, all at prices even lower than SM's.

While the aisles are a bit cramped and the crowd is far from that of Unimart and Shopwise, it's the great value that constantly draws me in :-)

6:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....on the Eight O'Clock lemonade.....im just wondering what Gigi has to say about Mitch consuming powdered juice.....sermon to the max i bet!....hello mitch.......

9:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gaby's family grows and bottles the saranggani stuff ;) you should try his bangus fillets.. spectacular.

8:50 AM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Aw c'mon cut the pregnant lady some slack on the powdered juice! Both fresh and powdered still have sugar. Besides I like the taste, so there!

Here's my dirty little preggy secret: I love having a glass of EOC Lemonade(lots of ice) with hard boiled egg and toast lightly spread with some Skippy Super Smooth peanut butter. That should really make you cringe! Hahaha! Well as they say: everything in moderation. : )

Dear C: I would really like to try the Sugarfree Nestle Crunch - wonder how it tastes! Gotta visit Hi-Top soon!

Jay: I love the Saranggani Bay Bangus Belly fillets! We marinate it briefly in a little salt, pepper, calamansi and olive oil and bake it for like 12 minutes or so. I usually pair it with steamed Broccoli dipped in a mixture of Barrio Fiesta bagoong and apple cider vinegar. Delish!

6:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow bagoong cider vinegar.. tried that before somewhere cant remember where... they used to have bangus bellies in unagi sauce.. but failing that you can just buy the sauce and pour it on. they fillets are also wonderful with some lemon pepper powder for a little bite.

10:44 AM

 
Blogger Lori said...

I too have done the rounds, and my votes go to Landmark and Unimart, of which the latter never fails to distract me from my shopping list.
Thanks for the tips on the Purefoods Corned Beef Jalapeno and the Saranggani Bay in bottles. I like to eat that when there's nothing left in the fridge!

7:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Day Orange Juice at 62.00 at Pioneer Center :) With pulp bits at 72 per liter :) They also have other types of juices, and mixes of them. (Carrot, grapefruit...) Splurging would be for

Their orange juice is not sweet, which is probably why a friend asked, "Why are you drinking that, are you sick?" Teehee.

1:25 PM

 
Blogger ~~my~~ said...

I got this recipe, though i havn't tried, for those who wants to make their own:

Shell ice cream topping
(hardens wen pourd on ice crm)
2Tchip
1/2-1toil
1T or more of d ff mix in:
crushd cereal/cuki
fine chop nut/peanut btr(wil soften shel)
melt chip in micro.stir oil Add in 1 T of mix in pour over ice cream

1:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home