Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Saturday Taco Rendezvous

Hubby Christian visits Greenhills every weekend. Without fail. He drops by his fave game shops and to this day continues to mourn the passing of Virra Mall. I guess it’s therapeutic for him. When I join his weekend outings, I usually plan my separate itinerary. Trailing him after all can be a giant bore.

And part of my Greenhills Must Visit list is Kamico’s Tacos. Located in the top floor of Shoppesville (beside Shoppesville Plus and Quick Change), I have never met a Kamicos taco I didn’t like. I love the fact that it’s beside a tattoo parlor and the Lotto station. Hardly appetizing surroundings, and yet I can chow down at least a couple of tacos in the middle of this bedlam.



On my most recent visit, Christian treated me to a little taco a.m. snack. Yes, an hour before lunch – I’ve already had breakfast and I fully intend to have lunch so I guess this can’t qualify as brunch, haha. We sat beside a father and son duo (see photo), probably waiting for mom to quit the discount stalls. Both seemed like legit fans for they were animatedly discussing the merits of the Kamico’s taco.

“So dad is the taco shell made of Chippy?”

Yes, because what makes Kamico’s particularly special is the taco shell. While it’s not made of Chippy, it’s definitely not a nacho shell either. The closest I can place it to would be several sheets of crunchy lumpia wrapper stuck together. There’s a distinct Pinoy taste to the taco that I find so appealing, a special mix of juicy diced tomatoes, crunchy strips of cabbage, ground beef and soft cheddar.



At 39 pesos a pop, I’d say that Kamico’s Tacos would blast Taco Bell any day. It gives the Pancake House taco serious competition and is definitely a notch above the Mexicali version. Don’t ask me how it compares to the real deal – as far as I’m concerned there are no legit Mexican restaurants this side of town so I wouldn’t know where to start.

There’s also a Kamico’s stall in the Theater Mall food court but I find eating in the Shoppesville place, where you devour your taco perched on a bar stool beside a shop selling Juicy Couture knock-offs a bit more of the “authentic Greenhills experience”.

Nowadays I actually look forward to hubby’s mandatory Greenhills trips, if only for my requisite taco fix.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll have to wait 'til Sunday for you next taco, we have to go to the hospital on Saturday. Man, what i wouldn't do for a taco right now.

3:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lady operating this business who is probably the owner is the rudest person I have ever met. She should not be dealing with customers as she has no courtesy and is hostile to all her clients. I regret patronizing your business and will definitely not return to your over priced food stand that has the worse customer service anyone can imagine.

5:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home