Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Confessions of a Carboholic

At the risk of being universally panned by the pritikin eaters, South Beach dieters and Atkins followers, I will say it again: "My name is Blair Mitch and I’m a carboholic." I love freshly baked breads and stupendously prepared pastas. I am a rice queen and no meal is complete without garlic rice on the side. Now that I’m pregnant I have acceded to organic, brown rice – but still rice just the same. And yes, I eat my steak with rice, so sue me for being so Pinoy.

However I am choosy about my carbs. Thankfully I don’t really have a sweet tooth so I am not driven to gorge on muffins, cakes, doughnuts and all that. I can be persuaded to eat a slice of chocolate cake but I won’t go for the whole box. And after reading about the horrors of trans fat, I have resolved to limit my doughnut intake to one ring a day. Incidentally, doughnuts are like trans fat bombs. One piece right about sums up your allowable trans fat ration for the day. Wouldn’t you rather make that trans fat serving a helping of those wickedly sinful KFC hotshots? Anyway, I digress.

La Grotta Cucina Italiano



I would love nothing but a good meal of pasta and pizza. And my recent quick fix fave is La Grotta Cucina Italiano, conveniently located near my Makati workplace. Nothing beats a hectic morning than a bolstering lunch of Spaghetti Maremana Rosso loaded with fresh seafood, olives and tomatoes. Or maybe a plate of Capelli di Tartufo con Porcini, heavenly strands of angel hair mixed with mushroom and truffle cream. I find the former to be especially good when paired with simple, uncomplicated thin quattro formaggi and the latter, with some tarty salade of frutti di mare.



The only downside is that after a hearty carb meal, I am almost always fighting to keep my eyes open! The warm noonday sun is just screaming Afternoon Nap! And now that I’m pregnant I can’t really help myself to some extra strong brewed coffee so the rest of the day is an epic struggle to stay awake.

La Grotta is along Herrera avenue in Legaspi Village. It’s right after the dela Rosa – Herrera intersection so keep your eyes peeled for the miniscule signboard on the left.

Bellini’s

During the weekends, my hubby and I would drive to Cubao for an extra-special carbo treat in Bellini’s. This time we went with gal pal Gigi. Bellini’s is practically hidden in the innards of the Marikina Shoe Expo compound. So before eating you can still sneak in some white boots ala Bellestar dancer shopping in decades-old Soliman’s. The compound has also become an artist/boheme enclave of sorts. But seriously – while located in the boondocks, I have never eaten in Bellini’s without having to wait for a table. The place is always packed!

Owned by the fiercely Italian Mr. Roberto Bellini and his Pinay wife, Maria Luisa – the place is practically littered with all things Italian, from pictures of the Italian landscape to a menu with the new Italian pope in the cover. The Pinoy waiters are even known to throw in a few Italian lines here and there.



Christian and I have our Bellini’s favorites. It’s one of the places where we don’t have to look at the menu to know exactly what we want. More of often than not we would start with the Tinapa ravioli in truffle cream (not in the menu but the chef can be persuaded to prep if you so wish), Then the Salamina pizza loaded with oregano, capers, olive and salame and with the thinnest, crustiest homemade dough - haaay, sarap. Christian loves the fresh, creamy carbonara (probably the best in the metro) and their Osso Buco. Order extra fresh baked bread and sop it on the Osso Buco sauce– divine. Gigi also ordered Melanzane e mozzarella ala griglia (grilled eggplant with milky cheese) and it was a delightful discovery.

If you’re in Mr. Bellini’s good graces, he will throw in some vino santo (sweet wine) to complete the amazing meal.

I am not too familiar with Cubao so just make your way to Araneta Center and ask around for the Marikina Shoe Expo compound where Bellini’s is. And then it’s all about Happy Eating!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Aw heck Mitch, go ahead and drink the coffee. It won't hurt anyone. Hey, I was prego before too.

I like the sound of this La Grotta place. Thanks for writing about it. Now all I have to do is look for that teeny-eensy sign. :p

9:48 PM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Lori, the pasta orders in La Grotta can technically feed 2-3 people so it's really sulit.

1:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home