Friday, December 16, 2005

Chefs Miguel on Command Performance

Food is such a multi-sensorial experience. For me it almost always begins with the sensuous parade of smells, followed by the sight of food lovingly prepared, the clinking sound of good silverware, the texture of dishes co-mingling in your tongue, the singing of delighted taste buds.

One must come when bid to the table, especially when the promise of great meal is set.

And so I was very pleased when friend Jay invited us to a special dinner for 8 with the Chefs Miguel at the helm. Chefs Miguel consists of the chef brothers Anton and Carlo Miguel. I’ve heard only good things about them so it was a definite Yes.

Hosted by the couple L and C at their beautiful new abode, I was initially sidetracked by their cute children (one of which is 1 ½ and apparently already has a trained palate for foie gras and caviar – in adspeak that would earn an automatic “award”!). However the hors de oeuvre platters set me on the right track –



Blue Cheese and Truffle Honey en’croute, the earthy, pungent essence and rich tang of the cheese was perfectly complimented by the sweetness of the honey.

Duck and Chicken Liver Parfait with Port Wine Jelly, the silky smoothness of the pate was pure seduction.

Grilled Japanese Eel and Sauteed Foie Gras with Pickled Radish, little bite-sized explosions of rich, unabashed elegance.

Champagne was served which Pregnant Moi couldn’t partake of, but the hors de oeuvres, I made sure to taste.

Dinner was ushered in by Lobster and Cognac Bisque with Lobster Quenelles. Faster than I can ask, “what are quenelles?” – the chefs graciously described the dish being served. A quenelle is a small, delicate dumpling bound in fat, cream or eggs, gently poached in stock. L had different bottles of wine served to accompany/compliment the dish and for this one, a sauvignon blanc. I found the starter a tad bit salty but liked the pillow soft lobster quenelles.



Considering I had a generous helping of foie gras earlier, I still had room for another round, Sauteed Foie Gras and Caramelized Apple Mille Feulle. This is one of my favorites in the lot, even though I just ate a bit for taste. The square pastry puff provided just the right crunch to the tender sweet, heady apples. Absolutely deadly, absolutely fantastic.



A sorbet came next to cleanse the palate. Pineapple and Kaffir Lime Granita. By now a whole symphony of flavors and textures were starting to overwhelm and so I was thankful for the intermission.

One can’t go wrong with superior beef and so I only had great expectations for the USDA Angus Rib Eye with gratin potato, asparagus and béarnaise sauce. The gratin potatoes were a surprise – and smothered with béarnaise sauce, such a pleasure. For a while there it threatened to upstage the meat! Normally my spirits positively glow upon seeing the delicate, intricate pattern of marbling but with all the foie gras I scarfed down earlier, the sight was enough to make my heart pound with a full-scale cholesterol storm. I only ate half of the steak and mentally cursed myself for not pacing my eating well enough. Luckily hubby was beside me to finish the rest. The main entree was served with a deep Claret.



But there was no sharing that happened for the stupendous dessert. Valrhona White Chocolate and Bailey’s Souffle with Frangelico Crème Anglaise and Praline Ice Cream. I had to make sure that the liquor content was not too much – I’d be damned if I’m banned from eating this one! I am forever awed by soft, fluffy, bouncy soufflés and this was perfection. How beautiful! Too beautiful to eat! One makes a little cross on top and in pours the crème anglaise – all of it. Down the luscious cream went, into the deep crevice of the seemingly bottomless soufflé. L is right – this one definitely trumps Le Souffle.



Espresso coffee and tea followed. By then I was hazy with content – I think my baby too. We were happy campers. I can’t say the same about my wallet but then again, one spends roughly the same in Prince Albert.

If food is adventure, then the travel is divine.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there i really enjoy visiting your blogspot. thanks for writing about your awesome dinner. must really try the chefs' expertise. if you don't mind my asking, how much did the whole dinner cost per person? can i also get their contact #s? thanks

4:10 PM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Hey Molly, thanks for dropping by!

You can contact Chefs Miguel at 0916-3671239. They have set menus to choose from or you can customize, i.e. pick different dishes and combine them into one fab menu.

Our dinner roughly cost Php 2,700. But considering it involved grilled eel, foie gras, angus ribeye, etc. - I'd say it's worth it naman. : )

10:17 PM

 
Blogger Lori said...

Jay mentioned he was going to hold this dinner. Of course I was envious, but your post made me feel like I was there too. I think I'm still envious, though! :p

6:27 PM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Hey Lori I'm trying to convince Tricia, Janelle and Ines to do this nga eh! If ever you should join us! : )

4:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home