Saturday, October 22, 2005

Cheap Steaks for the Cheapskate

When I want a reliable good, old steak I go to Melo’s. Where the ribeye costs atleast 900 pesos for an 8oz. But what to do when you want good, solid meat and not the hefty price that comes with it? You need Cheap Steaks for the Cheapskate.

Before we begin, let’s get this detail out of the way: Blair Mitch does not consider the sizzler variety. Suffice it to say that albeit cheap we are not featuring Sizzler Steak and House of Mini’s. The quality is questionable. That said, let’s get it on.

Everything At Steak



I don’t know what finally propelled me to try this place. It could be the fact that the place was always curiously full (despite its unseemly location – right smack in a Petron gas station compound). Or maybe because I had grown fond of its kitschy name which rivals Saudiya Hair Lines (beauty salon) and Petal Attraction (flower shop).

People flock to Everything at Steak for the 120 peso 8oz Ribeye. Sure, it’s “Anggas” (short for “Batangas”) beef vs the more renowned Angus variety. But at 120, who’s complaining?



The tender steak was decidedly “Pinoy-style”. There’s a home-style marinade that gives the meat a sweetish-bbq taste. It’s actually good, if you like that sort of thing. Ask for the gravy to be placed on the side, otherwise they slather it all over.

Personally I like a meatier tasting, uncomplicated steak. I am more partial to a slight buttery taste than the smoky one that comes from charcoal grilling. Not really a fan of heavily marinated steaks. At most I’d like to give the meat a scant sprinkling of salt, pepper and aromat.

Everything at Steak also serves a gonzo T-bone at 110 pesos. It’s not a date place, so don’t get any ideas.

*Everything at Steak, Petron Gas Station Compound, P. Guevara corner Vicente Cruz Street San Juan

Handlebar Manila



A lot of guys I know (plus curiously, my best gal pal Gigi) get moony-eyed when they talk about the Handlebar Steak. You’d think it’s the holy grail of steaks, the way they grunt and wax poetic: “Maaaaan… you can never go wrong with the Handlebar steak… (big, big sigh)”And so, faced with the prospect of free meat courtesy of Gigi, hubby and I were there in a jiffy.

A couple of things girls need to know about Handlebar: (a) It is a veritable dive swimming with biker boys which may or may not be your thing and (b) Not a good idea to stay past 10pm because all sorts of strange women come pouring in. Hint: Patpong. You know what I mean.

But barring those parochial warnings – Handlebar is my kind of dive. In fact, hubby and I spontaneously voted this place with the blaring biker metal music as the best spot to watch the World Cup finals next year.

And the steaks… The 16oz Ribeye costs 415 pesos, while the 12oz version is priced at 345. The same cost applies to the Porterhouse. We’re talking thick, man-sized Aussie beef. I was the evening's straggler and pitifully couldn’t finish my 12oz. The meat is like two inches thick, it reminded me of a pillow (I kid you not). You’re better off not ordering medium rare, or you can do what Christian did – which is to ask that the meat be “butterflied” prior to grilling. I especially liked the fact that you are made to fetch your killer steak at the grill and help yourself to the sidings, including giant baked potatoes you can load up with bacon, sourcream, chives and cheese, coleslaw and baked beans.



Mixed reviews on the steak – three of my companions practically snorted it away in like 15 minutes flat (we’re talking 16oz here) while Gino (aka Pop Tart) and I couldn’t finish. Some felt their steak was tough and undercooked although I would think the culprit was the uber thick slab which make it harder to cook. I thought mine was good but wondered if there was an 8oz option for the wusses.

Make a beeline for Handlebar and make sure you’re up to the challenge.

*Handlebar Manila, 31 Polaris St. Bel Air Makati

4 Comments:

Blogger C said...

Mmmmmmmm steak. <- ala Homer

12:38 AM

 
Blogger Lori said...

Ohhh, I don't know about these steakplaces. Too many people get excited when they see a cheap price for what should be a pricey part of meat. And bikers? Well, I myself am one too, but the pedal-along type, and not the vroom-vroom type. :p

6:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything at Steak opened another branch along West Avenue in QC.

9:42 PM

 
Blogger Photowalker said...

Everything at steak just opened a new branch in San Fernando Street in Binondo.

9:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home