Wednesday, October 12, 2005


Good Day, Good Eats

You have to go to Buon Giorno, if only for the Cannelloni.

I am not saying this because it is owned by Linda Floro, a dear old friend. I just would not want you to miss such an awesome, well-prepared dish.

Imagine tender bits of Chicken and Mortadella ham rolled in sheets of Spinach pasta then smothered with rich tomato sauce and cheese.

Wrestling for the last piece was the only time there was any conflict in our Tagaytay weekend respite. Christian ended up with it while I was this close to licking the plate dry. He pronounced it the best dish the eating spree has produced. And seeing that he is a hardcore carnivore – that’s saying much.



I can rhapsodize endlessly about the Cannelloni but there were other winners in our lunch that likewise deserve their airtime.

The MarlinJo vinaigrette brings the ‘special” in the Buon Giorno Special Salad. The well-revered house dressing is named after the Floro family (Mark, Linda and Jonathan), it is the vinaigrette I have lusted for all these years, even while I was working with foodstylist Linda in our Del Monte shoots. I begged her for some when I went out of town with Christian during our dating days and it was the salad and the magic vinaigrette that saved us from an otherwise dreary dinner of tough, burnt steak.

Tita Linda has bottled the magic and it retails for 80 pesos. Needless to say I promptly hoarded bottles.



The other house reco that we enjoyed was the Braised Lamb Shanks. The meat slides off the bone and totally melts in your mouth, like butter. Okay, call me a bad, unhealthy eater but I zeroed in on the slippery soft “litid” parts. I was so distracted I didn’t notice that Christian was already devouring the last of the cannelloni.

Which led me to a realization: The cannelloni is not meant to be shared. Get your own and forget about splitting the order. It simply won’t work.

Buon Giorno is at The Cliffhouse along the ridge. Give your taste buds a whirl.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! i stumbled across your blog from another blog i was reading (marketmanila) and someone said you wrote reviews on restaurants when you were in tagaytay, and i must say, they are good-looking reviews!! all those pictures are making me hungry. and to think my boyfriend thinks i'm nuts because i want to take pictures of the dishes we order! hahaha. i'd love to try the firelake grill and this italian place. yummy!

1:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home