Sunday, October 16, 2005

Tagaytay Mini Break

I recently posted three new restaurants hubby and I visited in Tagaytay. Now I will feature the bed and breakfast we stayed in.

It must bear mentioning that Christian and I are not overly fond of the rustic scene and so Sonia’s was out of the question. Hubby will not appreciate the edible flowers and the absence of a working television. And so I was in a quandary over where to stay.

Run by the same people behind Discovery Suites Manila, I came across the place when I was interviewing some girl for an advertising job. Having mentioned that she had just visited Tagaytay, I asked her where she spent the night. Leaning forward in a conspiratorial manner, she whispered, “Discovery Country Suites.” I love secrets and was suitably intrigued.

Discovery Country Suites is a charming B&B with seven themed suites. There’s Nantucket, Oxford, St. Tropez, Siam, Ceylon, Adalucia and Nara. If you’re looking for the Jungle Room – we’re not on the same wavelength here.

Right when we got in, we were welcomed by fresh fruit shakes and a gorgeous view of the Taal Lake.

We booked the Japanese-themed Nara Suite with the shoji screens and tatami mats and were delighted to find that it opened up to the gardens. Wi-fi enabled, with a cable-ready widescreen tv and a dvd player – It was zen with all the amenities of modern living.



After a quick warm shower (no hotel-issue soaps for you here, they only offer L’Occitane bath products, thank you), hubby and I were off to deep sleep surrounded by giant, fluffy pillows. Incidentally, my version of mini-break involves a lot of sleeping and eating. Yes, I am a bum.

In case you have trouble sleeping or relaxing, Discovery Country Suites also offers shiatsu, Swedish and aromatherapy massages in the privacy of your own suite.

At sundown we partook of wine and cheese, plus dates, candied peel and marinated olives while executive chef and resident hottie David Pardo de Ayala went around inviting the guests to dinner at the Verbena Restaurant
*We skipped dinner in favor of Fire Lake Grill (see blog post below)



At around ten pm the house also gives you the turndown service – fluffing up the pillows and delivering warm milk dusted with cinnamon and freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.



We had our breakfast served the next day in the outdoor patio, by the gardens, luxuriating in all that fresh mountain air.



Newly opened Discovery Country Suites is a must visit. Click on the url below for reservations.
http://www.discoverycountrysuites.com/main.php

7 Comments:

Blogger Stef said...

hi blair_mitch! just found your blog. makes me want to get on a plane just to see tagaytay these days -- haven't been there since '97! i don't know if this would interest you, but we'd love for you to join us for this monthly pinoy food blogging event -- you don't have to cook or share a recipe, just a love of pinoy food is enough! details here:

http://www.stefoodie.net/index.php?page_id=293

12:32 AM

 
Blogger Lori said...

Fantastic! I've always wanted to do the whole B&B experience myself. I'm glad you and the hubby enjoyed, Mitch. :)

8:53 AM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Hey stefoodie, sounds really interesting! I'm a novice cook but an expert eater (haha). I will check out your blog asap and would love to join. : )

6:46 PM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Lori, why don't you and Bin go to Discovery Country Suites and check out the Verbena cafe? I heard that the Lemon Verbena Panna Cotta is delish...

6:48 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Mitch! How did you enjoy the food? Chrissie and I tried the desserts there before, and we wanted to try the regular food. :)

Nice to see what the place looks by day!

9:43 PM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Ton, I didn't eat in Verbena cafe at all! Is that pathetic or what?! I was busily visiting the other restaurants I wrote about. I did sample their breakie and it was good. I plan to have lunch there someday.

4:54 PM

 
Blogger C said...

Hey Mitch,
You have a blog na din pala!
Visit mine: http://www.gpherman.blogspot.com. :)

12:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home