Monday, February 06, 2006

The Diet Nazis are coming!

When Rome Kanapi of the Pregnancy and Childbirth Preparatory Classes told me to prepare a food diary, I should’ve known it meant Trouble. Imagine my horror when in our first session, we were tasked to exchange food diaries, read and point out each other’s dietary transgressions.

“I noticed a whole lot of carbs, like rice and pasta. She also ate peanut butter frequently. And oh, while she had Fruit Shakes – they were of real fatty fruits like Mango and Avocado. Lastly, she ate a whole lot of tikoys. Is that part of carbs?”

The shame! My heart sank when I quickly scanned my partner’s list and found that she only slipped with one measly strip of Spam.

So I’m now on brown rice, going easy on the pasta and removing Skippy’s from my cupboard. But the fruit shakes are damn hard to shake off.

Thankfully there’s Fuzion –a shop selling smoothies made from real, premium fruit. No ice, no sugar, just real fruit + yoghurt. They’ve taken out the ice so as not to dilute the drink. They are likewise relying completely on all-natural fruit sans that nasty, addicting sugar syrup you see poured in every Big Chill fruit shake. Btw, don’t mean any disrespect to Big Chill – I love em shakes and all but Blair Mitch needs to stay clear for now. My Fuzion faves include Very Berry Good (strawberries, raspberries and blueberries) and Strawberry Teaser (strawberries, oranges and bananas). Gal pal Gigi also introduced me to Lime Light which is a nice, refreshing treat (lime, lychees and cucumber).

There are 2 Fuzion cafes I know of, one in Greenhills Promenade and the other in Robinson’s Galleria. The smoothies are quite pricey at 95 bucks a pop for the small size but they’re really good. Fuzion also serves food but I’d stay with their core competency, i.e. smoothies. Incidentally I can’t stand the letter “z” on Fuzion – it seems like they’re propagating bad spelling (that’s another topic, btw).



Speaking of yoghurts, hubby Christian swears by Nestle yoghurt drinks for healthy breakfast on-the-go. It’s so “on-the-go” that it’s finished by the time he gets to the lift! And scanning the supermarket yoghurt section, I find the Spanish Pascual brand to be really good value and laden with more interesting flavors like Dark Cherries, etc. They had a price increase recently, although still cheaper than Nestle yoghurt.



I scanned my food diary this week and while I’ve kicked out the peanut butter and the fruit shakes, in popped irresistible Crispy Pata and 2 servings of Beef ribs (eaten in different days)! And while I proudly proclaimed during class that I’ve switched to smoothies, I was promptly asked how many calories it contained (as you know, low-sugar does not automatically mean low-cal).

And so Blair Mitch asks, is there any way to win here?!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i assume i shouldnt invite you when i explore parallel 45? :D

10:51 AM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

You just about read my mind!!! Really planning to go there asap. Shall we? When? Call me buddy!!!
I'm all set to place reservations this week.

Btw I tried Mr. Poon's steamed fish along Shaw. While the dish was heavenly - the place was a real dive as in D.I.V.E.

2:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. So -- There's a Fuzion in GB3 near Cold Rock. (Good heavens. Cold Rock deserves a post. I tried a table-slapping God-take-me-now winning combo of peanut butter base ice cream and mixed in with ribbons of Nutella and chunks of cookie dough. I worked out 3 hours to burn it all off. Worth it worth it worth it.)

Mrs. So -- you can have the P45 menu faxed in advance...

5:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home