Thursday, January 25, 2007

Design Your Self



What a thoroughly intriguing idea.

Karim Rashid is an industrial designer whose clients include Prada, Nambe, Issey Miyake, Umbra and Alessi. He is perhaps better known for designing the widely popular Umbra wastebasket named Garbo (a play on Greta Garbo and Garbage). It's an elegant, fully functional piece with a sexy, rounded swooping shape. As one critic put it, "Karim built a better trash can and the world beat a path to his door."

I love this guy. I love his designs. I love the fact that he thought that hey, just as I can design furniture, so can I design and shape a better, more enlightened world.

Most of Karim's ideas are not rocket science. They're actually quite simple and doable, if you care enough to sit still and think for a minute.

Here's his take on food and eating. Personally I think it's all one needs to know:

Think before you eat.
Your body is a temple.
Don't starve.
Common sense + moderation.
Be an educated consumer.
Quality vs. Quantity.
Eat locally.
Set the table.
Sit down.
Converse.

I'm still not finished with the book but already very excited to put some ideas into practice. Perhaps gradually and not in the manner of the Take No Prisoners New Year's Resolution.

Rethinking the way you live, love, work and play. It's never too late. So how about it?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Game! Meron ba sa Fully Booked or Powerbooks?

8:43 PM

 
Blogger DirkStar said...

Uh, you're kinda cute...

And witty too.

4:23 PM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Gee...thanks Dirk...and welcome to the blog!

Anonymous: Got my copy at Kinokuniya. None here, the last time I checked. But you can definitely place an order in Fully Booked (no I am not employed by that book store).

11:45 AM

 
Blogger russkal said...

Hahaha! I see Good Ol' Dirkster has found his way on your blogsite!

Don't worry, he's a good guy. Riiiggghhhttt... (just kidding, Dude)

About the post, I'm with you and Karim on not allowing yourself to starve!

Obvious naman, 'di ba?

2:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi blair mitch!!! cool blogsite with great articles. :) I've always known you to be so into good food, books and kikay stuff. Keep it coming! Its me, Hera (from college)

4:58 PM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Hera!!! How are you???
Thanks for visiting! Ang daming exclam ng message ko!

Hey let's hook up sometime or atleast online. You can email me at mrs_so_rocks@yahoo.com

Would you believe I am married with kid na?

9:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home