Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Craving for Bulalo

Yes, that’s what I’ve been having for the past few weeks. A deep-seated need to slurp down some soft, hot, slippery marrow scooped out of a giant bone of a beef shank. Revel in the tender Batangas beef swimming in the most flavorful broth.

It’s so hard to find a good bulalo place here in the metro. The nearest I can think of is Sosing’s where they churn out vats of bulalo like it’s no one’s business. But bulalo is meant to be enjoyed at one’s leisure and it is just crazy over at Sosing’s. Patrons (mostly cabbies and jeepney drivers with 15 minutes to spare for a meal) stand beside you, pressuring you to vacate your table. Who needs the aggravation?

And so we drove up to Leslie’s in Tagaytay. Aaaah…who doesn’t go into rapture with the mere mention of Leslie’s Bulalo? The heart starts beating a tad faster at the thought of hot, steaming bowls of Bulalo served in a table overlooking the iconic Taal Volcano. Perfect.



We arrived just a bit past lunch one lazy Saturday afternoon. It was actually hubby’s birthday weekend. Plans include a Leslie’s Bulalo meal and major R&R at Discovery Country Suites. We stayed there last year, pregnant moi and hubby. This year we returned with our darling 7-month old baby girl Micky and her posse, Yaya Jazz and Yaya M. From the incredibly romantic Japanese-themed Nara suite, we booked the family friendly Nantucket suite. How times have changed.

Anyway - complimentary bulalo broth greeted us in Leslie’s, along with fresh buko juice (now this one, we paid for). For people like us who can’t decide, the Sinugba platter is a blessing. A little bit of everything : mussels, steamed prawns, grilled squid, grilled chicken, the indispensable liempo and my fave, grilled Maliputo with the sweetest flesh. Incidentally Maliputo is a type of fish I am told resides exclusively in Taal lake.



Sinugba platter + Leslie’s Bulalo = Extremely ecstatic Blair Mitch


Let's sing all together now, "L is for Litid, that's good enough for me..."


Obviously I couldn't resist eating the marrow before I took this shot. It's criminal to let the marrow wait. So just imagine it, will you (really evil laugh).


Ooooh. Sinugbaaaaaaaaa...

Bulalo is nasty stuff that tops the cholesterol scale so best to save it for special occasions. I can’t remember the last time I ate Bulalo prior to Leslie’s so you can just imagine the extent of my craving. Sharing with you my not-so-new rule when it comes to sugar, fat and all them forbidden goods: Don’t dilly-dally and waste your precious once-a-month ration with the amateurs. If you have to get your fat fix then go to the master, like Leslie’s.

See ya next quarter!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jen Tan said...

You'll love hanging with my barkada as they adore bulalo! On one night we even had a bulalo party at my friend's house=) hehehe but you are right as it is beter eaten with ambiance. Try it in DAVAO--at Taklobo's restaurant located at Jaack's ridge if you and your family get a chance to go there! Good bulalo with a very nice ambiance to boot.

Unfortunatelym I don't eat bone marrow--can you believe?

3:56 PM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

I am told that Sanctuario has a real nasty bulalo pasta dish. Have you tried it na? Heehee. Sounds deadly.

5:14 PM

 
Blogger pinaygourmand said...

The best Bulalo is found in Batangas. Bulalo and Kaldereta are the specialties there. My mom is from Batangas and I enjoy having Bulalo as much as I can when we go there. If you chance upon the route of Sto. Tomas Batangas you'll find Rose & Grace Restaurant, that place is always jam packed with patrons coming from Manila and nearby provinces. I think they also have a branch somewhere in Laguna but I haven't been there.

12:10 AM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Oh yes I've tried that one. My dad is also from Batangas (Santo Tomas to be exact).
There's a Rose and Grace too in Santa Rosa, en route to Tagaytay. : )

9:42 PM

 
Blogger spanx said...

hi blair mitch!


just discovered your blog,
and it's grrrrreat!

consider yourself bookmarked!


spanx!

7:40 PM

 
Blogger blair_mitch said...

Welcome Spanx!

11:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi blair mitch,

Glad you enjoyed the chocofudge. theres a bakery shop that carries it, its called sweet craft along boni ave.

5:30 PM

 
Blogger jattremua said...

hello mitch im also from sto tomas batangas and the owner of rose and grace resto there is my auntie.. nice posting of your blogs from sto tomas at least you remember our hometown sto tomas..more power

7:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home